Island Voices Chamber Choir is seeking a passionate, skilled director with a broad knowledge of choral repertoire and vocal production to become Musical Director, beginning in Sept. 2020.
Founded in 1997, Island Voices is a 25-voice auditioned mixed-voice ensemble. The choir performs high quality choral music from a wide variety of genres and historical periods, most often a cappella. Island Voices is a regional choir, drawing singers from the Comox Valley and Campbell River areas. Typically performing two or three concerts per year, the choir aims to bring quality choral music to rural areas and to promote Canadian composers.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Musical Director include, but are not limited to:
• Plan and direct an annual 2-3 concert season
• Attract and audition new choristers
• Select repertoire
• Direct weekly rehearsals and other rehearsals as necessary
• Select any soloists and/or instrumentalists
• Participate in the selection of venues
• Work cooperatively with the Board of Directors
• Attend annual retreat and AGM
The successful candidate will have:
• Formal training in choral direction
• Experience conducting high-calibre choral groups
• Excellent knowledge of vocal production, and the ability to help individual singers improve technique
• The ability to communicate musical ideas effectively
• The ability to connect with singers from a variety of backgrounds
• Knowledge of many genres, historical periods and languages
This is a part time contract position. Salary range begins at $8000 per year, and would be commensurate with training and experience.
1. Interested parties should review the documents available for download below.
2. To apply, candidates are asked to submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
• A resume outlining education, conducting experience and vocal training
• A selection of programs from past performances
• Relevant audio/video samples or media coverage, if applicable
• A proposed concert program you would suggest for Island Voices Choir
• Three references
Application Deadline: Feb. 7, 2020
For further information contact Lesley How at above email or (250)202-7715